Sunday, June 13, 2010

Tomorrow

Tomorrow I will begin my journey.
Well, I suppose my journey has already begun. I arrived in New York this past Friday, spent the past two days figuring out how to get from point A to point B (it's a bit trickier than it sounds - I've had one subway mishap already) and tomorrow is my first day at NARAL.
I have the distinct pleasure of interning with the TORCH Program (Teen Outreach Reproductive CHallenge). According to the NARAL website, "TORCH is a nationally recognized program that combines peer health education and leadership training of New York City youth, placing a strong emphasis on empowerment and team building.
Through peer outreach, community organizing, public speaking, and addressing the critical issues of reproductive health care, young people build their self esteem, learn leadership skills, and make responsible choices in their lives."
So basically, I'll be working with a group of teenagers from all over NYC, teaching them "to give presentations on a range of adolescent health issues to interested youth groups and schoools city-wide."
Needless to say, I'm nervous, excited and a little bit terrified. I want to do a good job so badly, to help imbue these young people (who, now that I think about it, are not much younger than myself) with knowledge and confidence.
Tonight I'm a little too anxious to be articulate, but I'll be blogging throughout my time at NARAL this summer. I suppose I should at least attempt to get some sleep... I'll certainly have more to say tomorrow!
xo Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment