Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 2

Today started a little late (I didn't need to be at the office until 12:30) but around the NARAL offices things were pretty busy. I got to meet the other TORCH intern, Maya, who is a grad student at Columbia. We both are really passionate about what we're doing and I think we'll work well together. A good portion of the day was spent going over orientation material, discussing the structure of the program and the roles we will play.

I asked Faye a question that had been on my mind for some time - we're going to be working very closely with the teenage group and the subject matter we're covering can get very personal. Is there some kind of party line as to how much personal information we are allowed to share with them? This question came out of a previous experience as a counselor when there was a camper who clearly needed support and guidance but due to restrictions on how personal a counselor can get with a camper, I never was able to sit down and talk out the issue with the camper in question. I always have felt badly about it, and it was part of the reason I didn't return to that job. Faye assured me that we can share as much as we feel comfortable sharing, which put me at ease. I don't particularly feel the need to fill the group in on the details of my personal life, but being able to be frank and honest about their questions and concerns is key in establishing trust and open communication.

This past fall I watched a movie for class called Dreamworlds 3: Desire, Sex and Power in Music Video. The first time I watched it, I was completely blown away. My family didn't get cable until I left for college (how convenient) so I've never been particularly well-versed in the world of MTV or music videos, but I think even those who grew up watching the channel will be shocked and appalled once the images are put into context. The film does a beautiful job connecting the highly constructed portrayals of femininity and masculinity from the "dreamworld" of music videos to real-life street harassment, sexual assault, stalking and rape. The entire film can be viewed on YouTube, and I encourage everyone to see it. I'd really like to show this film to the group and discuss how these images play directly into rape culture, but it's a little long and I want to keep them engaged. What I'm probably going to end up doing is just showing selections interspersed with discussion. I think (and hope) they'll be able to relate to the analysis the film puts forth, particularly when it comes to experiences of street harassment (which is sadly common in New York - I've been here since Friday and I've been whistled at, catcalled at, and been subjected to unwanted advances more than a few times). I have to admit, I'll be a little disappointed if they're not as into it as I am, but I suppose I'll have to wait and see.

On a side note, I keep a tumblr that focuses primarily on abortion as well as a number of other queer and feminist issues (and arguing with 15-year-olds who have a bad habit of essentializing, slut-shaming and victim-blaming), but today I got a message that made it all worth it:
"I'm seriously considering renaming my blog 'what naomiwaxman said.' Thanks for the always erudite and on-point posts. It gives me something to aspire to."
Just that one little comment made my day. It's amazing how much a little positive reinforcement can reinvigorate a person.

Kisses and contraception,
Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment